Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Warner Brothers Records: Trademark Of Quality (1993)


So I was recently contacted by a reader of this blog and we struck up a nice conversation. This individual, an extremely generous fellow named Nathan, explained to me that he had purchased the 93 edition of the Trademark Of Quality compilation off of ebay and would send me a copy. Well, to my surprise he didn't just send me a copy, he sent me THE copy! He mailed me the original disc! I am so thrilled by this and words simply cannot express my gratitude! So, I want to start this post by thanking Nathan a few more million times over for his generosity! You have no idea how happy this has made me! And Nathan, watch your mail for those Prince DVDs! Some good stuff coming your way!

I also want to thank everyone who reads the blog regularly! I started this page with no purpose in mind other than to share the wealth and I'm blessed to have such fine readers visiting me regularly! I'm going to keep this page going as long as I can, which should be quite a while. Also, please feel free to ask about requests and such. I can't guarantee I'll always have something to post but, if I have it, more often than not it will show up here shortly after being requested.

In the near future I'm going to be posting some more Miles Davis seventies sessions, that additional Neil Young album and some interviews. I'm waiting for word back from some people I've contacted, one of which will hopefully answer some more questions about the Jungle Brothers' Crazy Wisdom Masters. Another will be discussing their excellent label which focuses on electronic music in the vein of Warp Records and their more abstract leanings. I'm also going to be speaking with Sean Carlin of Dink soon. For those unfamiliar with the almighty Dink, they were a band from Kent, Ohio that had a hit with the song Green Mind in the early nineties. They were associated with Dave "Rave" Ogilvie of Skinny Puppy fame and the Cleveland industrial scene. Great band that unfortunately got screwed by their label, and Sean is a ridiculously nice guy who will share some stories with us.

Back to today's post, this is what Nathan sent me, the 1993 Trademark Of Quality promo CD which features the only official release of any tracks from the unreleased Crazy Wisdom Masters album. This disc is filled with goodies and while some of them sound a little dated, I'm sure you'll agree that the good stuff outweighs the bad! enjoy!


Trademark Of Quality 1993
NOTE: By now I'm sure you know what to do, but just to be safe, make sure you download both parts otherwise you won't get the complete album.
Part One
Part Two

01 Intro
02 Boredoms - My Mum Is Car

This features a short intro from EYE
03 Biohazard - Five Blocks To The Subway
Mr. Tara Patrick's old band. No disrespect Evan, but I can't be the first guy who mentioned your wife. Regardless, you rock!
04 Wayne Coyne - Intro To Waterbugs
Long spoken introduction by Mr. Flaming Lips himself. He messes with the tape at specific points.
05 The Flaming Lips - Waterbugs In The Policeman's Ear
Pretty song from the fearless freaks.
06 Uncle Tupelo with Joe Ely - Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way
Shortly before the Wilco and Son Volt feuds began...
07 Kristin Hersh - Your Ghost (Demo)
08 Suddenly, Tammy! - Funky
09 The Muffs - You Lied
10 Green Day - 409 In My Coffeemaker

Don't get me wrong, I like old Green Day, I just can't stand the new, politicized Green Day. They're still a decent band, as evidenced by their Foxboro Hot Tubs side-project, but what happened to stuff like this?
11 Gallon Drunk - All Mouth, No Trousers
Features a little dialogue prior to the song.
12 American Music Club - In My Role As The Most Hated Singer In The Local Underground Music Scene
With a song title that long, I'll have to take your word for it Mr. Eitzel.
13 Bluescreen - Batperson
Who the hell are these guys? This is some weird shit! I want more!
14 Jungle Brothers - Troopin' On The Down Lo
This actually sounds a little different from the version I heard on the actual album. The performance is the same, but the mastering job may differ.
15 Justin Warfield - Dip Dip Divin' (New Version)
I wish I knew who did this remix. It sounds like Biohazard with Justin on vocals. It doesn't beat the original version but it's still damn tight! One Inch Punch coming soon!
16 Daniel Lanois - Rain Weather
Short dialogue intro in a foreign language. Could someone decipher this please?
17 Not Drowning, Waving - Ascending (Me and You)
18 Geggy Tah - Who's In A Hurry

Man, these guys were so great! They kind of disappeared when Luaka Bop left WEA Distribution. Their first two albums are excellent. Future post? For now, this excellent track!
19 Adam Schmitt - I Know You're All Mine
I hope no one is mad at me for saying this, but this guy sounds like such a pussy. I'll have to see if his album came out, not because I want to hear it but I want to know if anyone listened to more of his whiny-ass shit.
20 Kerosene - More Than You
21 Unrest - So So Sick

Mark Robinson for the win!
22 Mudhoney - Please Don't Forget About Us
This was probably written just as fast as it sounds like it was recorded. Great tune with tongue firmly in cheek!
23 Outro
24 UNLISTED BONUS TRACK!!! Julee Cruise & David Lynch - Pinky's Bubble Egg
This kinda got released eventually as part of a "play" that Lynch did with Nicholas Cage and Laura Dern sorta reprising their roles from Wild At Heart. Badalamenti is of course responsible for the music. Ms. Cruise provides a funny intro and Mr. Lynch adds an expectedly bizarre explanation of the piece's origin at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment