Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tricky - Aftermath: Early Versions


No, not a creative response to the whole Tricky thing. I actually wrote this post a day or two ago and was ready to post it when I got the e-mail from the DMCA. I wondered if I should post it and decided that yes, I should and I shouldn't think twice because NONE OF THESE TRACKS HAVE EVER BEEN RELEASED! Note that DMCA/IFPI/RIAA blog watchdog sorts because it's mighty important. Nothing in this post has ever been given an official release so let's hope that takes care of the takedown qualms. So, without any further ado, on with the show!

If my fondness for Tricky's early works wasn't made clear in my post about the Maxinquaye reissue, this should probably solidify it. These are the earliest known versions of Tricky's Aftermath, also from Maxinquaye. Pressed to vinyl privately (at least as far as I can tell), these original versions aren't terribly different from the finished cut, but it's nice to hear the early, slightly rougher assembly of the track. On the other hand, After This is another early version of the track that was eventually reworked into Looking For People Remix of Aftermath. Starting with a groove more reminiscent of DJ Shadow, it eventually bursts into the kind of broken beatwork that Tricky is known for. From what I understand, Tricky really enjoyed this version, and after weeks of carrying a cassette of it around with him he had a white label pressed from the cassette. I don't hear too much of the extra hiss of the cassette, but I'm sure if I strap my headphones on I'll pick up the vibe.

On a side note regarding Tricky, he is a notoriously difficult figure to pin down personality wise. A friend, DJing a rather large gig around '94 in New York, was in an elevator with his DJ partner, when they found themselves standing next to the rather short Tricky who was having an angry conversation with someone. My friend turned to look at the two arguing and then turned back, only to find moments later an exagerrated fellow, later identified as Tricky, asking him angrily if he was listening to their conversation. My friend tried to politely explain he wasn't intruding, but Tricky apparently wasn't having that and proceeded to complain loudly about the purported intrusion while asking if my friend knew who he was. My friend just wanted to let the whole thing go and walked away when the elevator doors opened, only to find himself laughing months later when he found out who the short man in the elevator was.

On the other hand, I met Tricky briefly around 1997 when he was touring for Angels With Dirty Faces. I was standing outside a club in Cleveland's Flats (RIP) waiting to get into his show. There were a number of hipster types standing around, talking about how cool Tricky was and blah blah blah, you know the type. My then girlfriend was standing with me when I noticed a short man across the street walking in the direction of the venue with a fellow dressed in a suit and carrying papers and a briefcase. The short man was arguing quite angrily with the fellow with the papers, eventually knocking his documents to the ground, then crossing the street on his own towards the club. I said to my girlfriend, "I think that's Tricky", but she reminded me of my inability to recognize Blues Traveller's John Popper at the HORDE Tour the week before. I wasn't wrong though, and as Tricky walked by us to the door of the club, the hipsters all stood in shock I pulled out my copy of the Starving Souls single and called out to Tricky. He turned my way, I told him how much I enjoyed his stuff, he said thanks, shook my hand, asked if there was anything I wanted to hear and if I had anything for him to sign. I handed him my CD and a pen and asked if he'd play Brand New, You're Retro. He was totally cool and said he'd try to get that in the set. As he walked away, a few of the hipsters asked if I'd sell them my CD, but I refused and still own it to this day. :)

Tricky and his band didn't play Brand New, You're Retro that night, but that's alright because they put on a great show. My then girlfriend told me she thought she met Martina Topley-Bird in the restroom which is quite possible as I saw a number of band members heading there before the show, but knowing what I know now about that ex, I wouldn't put any money on her statement. After all, there is a good reason she's an ex!


Tricky - Aftermath: Early Versions

Tricky - Aftermath (Original 12")
01 Aftermath (Original Version)
02 Aftermath (Mellow Version)

Tricky - After This



PS - Props to The Brica Brac Man for the hookup on these tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment