Tuesday, December 29, 2009

December 2009 Mixtape


This mix consists mostly of things I've featured here on the site before. I thought it would be nice to do a quick review of the year's posts for anyone who doesn't dig through every single one. There are a few new tracks in here, but they all relate back to things previously featured here.

I've got a lot of stuff planned for January and I've got my interview wish list all set up, so there will be a lot of stuff coming up soon! On top of that, I'm looking into writing a book, albeit a short one. I've got a few projects in mind that could be very big, but that short book would be the starting point. I'll say more when there is more to say :). For now, enjoy the mix and have a Happy New Year!


The Unheard Music - December 2009 Mixtape

01 Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music (excerpt)
My love of this album may be questioned by some, but I swear it's legitimate. For those that would rather not give it a full listen (or download), here is thirty seconds to either whet your appetite or confirm your fears.

02 Queen - Tie Your Mother Down (Trent Reznor Remix)
Shoulda woulda coulda been released, but it was done for Hollywood Records, and we know how creatively open-minded Disney generally is.

03 Juliana Hatfield - Mountains Of Love
In a perfect world, God's Foot would be available at the very least for download via Amazon or iTunes. On top of that, Juliana Hatfield would get the credit she's due.

04 Crustified Dibbs - Every Record Label Sucks Dick
I wouldn't say EVERY record label, but I know what Dibbs aka R.A. The Rugged Man is saying.

05 Miles Davis - Untitled Original 760330a (Unheard Edit)
This is my own little concoction. I didn't do much to the original sources, just a little snip towards the end of one take and the beginning of the other to put them together. They simply felt far too short on their own. Miles plays organ on this one but no horn. By the way, there will be another Miles post in the near future, but it'll focus on a significant point a little earlier in his career.

06 Team Sleep - Natalie Portman
I wish Team Sleep releases weren't nearly as infrequent as they are, but I'm glad to have their self-titled and unreleased Lovers albums. Awesomely mellow track that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the awesome Natalie Portman.

07 John Oswald - dab
This is the original version of dab from the plunderphonic album. This also includes that album's short intro, btls.

08 Soul Coughing - A Murder Of Lawyers
Great leftover from early in the Cough's career. Good for showing off their less-than-friendly side.

09 Takeshi Muto - Ntak
Romulo Del Castillo and the Schematic crew are in the house!

10 Resident Alien - Ooh The Dew Doo Man
Prince Paul is on my interview wish list. I wouldn't say the Resident Alien album is as good as the De La Soul albums of the same era, but it deserves to be heard and is just as essential. Russell Simmons is why it'll probably never get an official release.

11 Beastie Boys - And What You Give Is What You Get
I don't know that I'll get to talk to The Dust Brothers or Matt Dike any time soon, but they're on that wish list too. As much as I want to talk with EZ Mike and King Gizmo, Matt Dike is the least publicly known and that's simply a crime. There will be a post of some of his best available tracks sometime soon.

12 Prince - Batdance (Original Version)
I think this is the third time I've posted this track. On top of that, this is yet another version from a different source. All the same though, I'll never get tired of this one and it's just another example of how brilliant Prince used to be. Yeah, I said used to, what you gonna do about it?

13 Jungle Brothers - Troopin' On The Down Lo
Goddamnit I want this album to get an official release! The full album isn't as crazy as this track, but it's so deserving to be heard. Props to Skiz, Dan LeRoy, Matt Stein (for that single conversation), David Williams (waiting for that response man! please come through!) and everyone else who has helped me in my search for more details about the lost gem that is Crazy Wisdom Masters!

14 The KLF - What Time Is Love? (The Moody Boys vs. The KLF)
I'd love to write a book about The KLF, but I'd be more than happy to simply read one. These guys are so insanely wonderful. If you're unfamiliar, find the ridiculously large posts I did about them for, in my opinion, a pretty good overview of their career, albeit far from complete.

15 Outro (More Metal Machine Music)
'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment