Sunday, December 6, 2009

Beastie Boys, BS 2000 and bulletin boards


I visit the Beastie Boys' official forum regularly but I've been unable to get an account there as they have a preventative measure that is supposed to reduce spam. That "preventative measure" is that users with freely available e-mail accounts through services like gmail and hotmail will not be approved for a login. Unfortunately, I don't have an e-mail account elsewhere so I'm stuck looking in but being unable to respond to the many topics. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this soon, but until then, I wanted to respond, in my own way, to a topic attracting a lot of attention at their board, which is the search for an unreleased BS 2000 remix of the Beasties' Body Movin' that appeared on a cassette-only sampler given out while the Beasties were on tour supporting Hello Nasty. Well, the good news is I've got a copy of that remix, the bad news is it's extremely low quality (128kbps MP3) and it's not exactly a BS 2000 production. It is, in fact, a remix by Adam Horovitz, one half of BS 2000 and the group's certified Beastie, but done with his Rave-O-Lution rhythm box, for which the track is labeled the Rave-O-Lution Mix. Nonetheless, I'm posting this in hope that people looking for it there may find it here, and people here may find it interesting. But I wouldn't do a post for just one track now, would I? The additional feature is an unofficial remix created by remix subscription producers Ultimix. Much like Razordmaid, Ultimix occasionally produced official remixes but primarily released mixes only for their subscribers. This is definitely a subscription remix, but Ultimix, like Razormaid, generally made very good mixes that sometimes rivaled the quality of label sanctioned releases. While I don't think this mix outdoes the productions created by the Beasties and the Dust Brothers, this is still a really entertaining mix assembled from all the tracks on the Love American Style EP. So, for your pleasure, please enjoy these rarities and, if anyone from the Beasties' bulletin board is reading this, could someone help me get an account there? PLEASE?


UPDATE: They've done it again. The DMCA made me take down two tracks that are not and never have been commercially available. I don't think this is the Beasties' doing, I think it's Capitol Records. RI-GODDAMN-DICULOUS!

Beastie Boys - Body Movin' (Rave-O-Lution Mix)
Beastie Boys - Hey Ladies/Shake Your Rump (Ultimix Remix)


PS - Two things... In case you're wondering, these tracks are sourced from the Flavor For Your Ear collection, a compilation assembled by a Beasties' fan a LONG time ago and sold online. These aren't from a second hand download either, they're from an actual two-disc set of all the tracks in MP3 format. If anyone would like more info on it, please drop me a line. Also, would anyone by any chance have a copy of the Beasties' video release The Skills To Pay The Bills? I have the DVD Video Anthology which has all the videos, but there are a number of short clips and differences from the VHS release that aren't on the DVD that I would like to get my hands on. Could anyone help me out, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment