Friday, December 11, 2009

Cassetteboy - The Parker Tapes


MY GOD! I've spent almost the entire week away from the site! Only one post this week? I should be ashamed! Well, I'll be making up for it next week and with this and the next post.

In case you're unfamiliar with Cassetteboy, the easiest comparison I can give you is John Oswald's plunderphonic album, albeit with a focus on twisted humor and soundbytes as opposed to music. Like Oswald's works, it's edgy and choppy with samples going in every direction, but the humor is far more defined and, at times, downright offensive, but you'd be hard pressed not to find even the offensive bits brilliant if not still hilarious.

Cassetteboy is actually a duo initially associated with Spymania Records, Tom Jenkinson's personal label. Their identities were well-kept secrets until the release of their third album, Carry On Breathing, but I enjoyed that secretive element of their existence, so I'm going to leave further information about them for the reader to discover at their leisure. That said, you can always visit their MySpace and youtube pages to find a little more about them if you are so inclined.

The Parker Tapes is Cassetteboy's debut full-length release. While it's not available in the US, or anywhere else currently to my knowledge, if you can find a copy you should most certainly purchase it. That's part of why this isn't the highest quality version of the album I could post, although I'm sure you'll enjoy it bunches regardless!

Check back tomorrow for a VERY SPECIAL release from Cassetteboy which I'm sure you'll enjoy as much as this one.


Cassetteboy - The Parker Tapes


PS - Here is a review by those always TRENDY FUCKS at Pitchfork. As they do every once in a blue moon, they got it right with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment