Wednesday, September 9, 2009

o9 - Two EPs


So I hope you enjoyed the Schematic post. There will be more on the Schematic crew in the near future. I also have to give props again to Rom for being such a cool cat! He went above and beyond the call of duty to answer questions, give me content and be an all around cool dude! I think it's incredible when someone who's work you love turns out to be such a friendly person, and so far that's been something I've been blessed to find around every corner while running this page. I consider Rom a friend and I'm eternally grateful for everything he's provided me with which, in turn, is provided for you!

There are going to be some compilations for the next few days as I've found some really interesting stuff recently, but first I want to introduce you to Jesse Legg, better known as o9. That's the letter o and the number 9 (hey Casey!), not to be confused with a similarly named drum'n'bass musician. I explored Jesse's music deeper while writing the Schematic post and Rom and I discussed him several times. His releases are really incredible, although they're also incredibly hard to find as well. Apart from his release on Schematic, the wonderful Church Of The Ghetto P.C., most of his releases have been limited runs on vinyl or MP3s, all of which have disappeared from their points of origin rather quickly.

Today I'm sharing with you two of o9's vinyl EPs, both of which were pressed in quantities of 500. The first is a completely untitled release from 1998. The only identifying mark on the release is the catalogue number etched into the run-out groove, making it rather difficult to recognize. Not nearly as loud as Jesse's later releases, it still shows his complex programming skills and his enjoyment of messing with the beats. An Aphex comparison due to it's dreamy quality is understandable, but it's all o9 to be sure.

The second EP is Tacklebox from 2001. This is more in the vein of the loud and rough sounds displayed on the Church album and some of his later works. The first three tracks were created on an Amiga and rock uncontrollably! The fourth track is a "mega mix" credited to Otto Von Schirach, although it sounds more like an early original track from Otto than a remix. Still, really sharp stuff.

I drove around all yesterday playing both of these EPs over and over again. It's great driving music, it's great chilling music, it's great housework music! Hell, I was making dinner while playing the untitled EP last night. This is, simply put, great music which, due to it's limited releases, will most likely never be heard by a wide audience, which is a true shame. So grab these now and indoctrinate yourself into the o9 fan club today! With luck, there will be more o9 stuff out on Schematic next year.


o9 - untitled EP (1998)

01 untitled a1
02 untitled a2
03 untitled b1
04 untitled b2


o9 - Tacklebox EP (2001)

01 Gatorfroggiefish
02 Moccasins Kissing
03 Exploding Ducky
04 Everglades Mega Mix (by Otto Von Schirach)


PS - Sorry there isn't a better photo of Jesse/o9 up there. If you've got one to spare, drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment