Thursday, September 3, 2009

BS 2000 - BS 2000


I was really looking forward to the Beastie Boys' new album, but with Yauch's surgery and cancer treatment, the album's release was understandably delayed. That said, I'm not expecting another Paul's Boutique or Check Your Head, but as long as it's better than To The 5 Burroughs then I'll be happy.

It's funny to think that only a few years ago they were still working on side projects left and right, although many of them never showed up. Whatever happened to World Of Hustle (Mike D and Rick Rubin. Seriously!), Brooklyn (Yauch's rock band) and 41 Smallstars (Adrock's remix and production alter ego)? It seems like they've got so many things going on that it doesn't surprise me when some of them don't get finished, but it still sucks that so many of these promising projects never got beyond occasional appearances, demo tapes or mentions. Anyone remember the Nasal Tongues?

One side project that kinda took off was BS 2000, and thank god it did! BS 2000 was a collaboration between Adam "Adrock" Horovitz and Amery "AWOL" Smith, the latter playing percussion with the Beasties live. It started with Adam and AWOL making beats on their SP1200s and mailing them to each other, whereupon they would add samples to each others tracks making them more and more manic.

Adam commented in an interview that making BS 2000 tracks were like playing a video game, and it sounds like it. Describing music as different or sounding like nothing you've ever heard is rather cliche, but it's pretty damn accurate when it comes to BS 2000. It makes me think of an especially whacked out version of Katamari Damacy or something weirder. I'm sure you'll find your own words to describe it, but I don't feel I can do it justice so I'll stop trying.

The album was released in 1997 only on vinyl via Grand Royal, immediately giving it a mythic vibe with it's difficulty to attain and hear. For a record by a practically unknown side project that sounds nothing like it's parent group, it's even seen bootleg repressings! There has only been one official repressing and both it and the original issue were very limited pressings so don't be surprised if you don't find this in the used section at your favorite record shop.

The only reason I even have a copy is because I knew a kick-ass dj who worked in Oberlin, Ohio at the school's now defunct record shop. He got all the craziest imports and regional issues of CDs and vinyls. I got to hear a lot of great import-only electro, techno, dance and hop-hop because of him, and he got me a sealed copy of the original pressing of the BS 2000 album. I broke that cellophane open and played the hell out of it. In fact, it was one of the first records I made a CD-R of, much to my then girlfriend's disdain. Whenever we drove around I played either the BS 2000 CD or Alec Empire vs. Elvis Presley. Let's act like I didn't mention that other album because it isn't really listenable anymore, but I NEVER got sick of BS 2000!

Adam and AWOL did record a second BS 2000 album in 2001 named Simply Mortified, but it's NOTHING like their debut. No, I really mean it, it's completely different and features actual "songs". It's got its moments and I still enjoy it, but it will never hold a candle to their self-titled debut. So, it is with great pleasure that I present to you an excellent quality copy of the album created from my original pressing.

Just remember, don't expect this to sound like the Beasties because if you do you will be sorely disappointed! If you go in expecting a blast of utter weirdness, you will surely find that and then some! So, enjoy BS 2000 responsibly and embrace the weirdness!


BS 2000 - BS 2000

01 Nobody Beats BS 2000
02 Bubbles
03 No Answer
04 AJOQUESO
05 OJ
06 The Real BS
07 Baby
08 Go Get Lifted
09 Copsuckers
10 Cocopuff
11 Scorpio
12 Heaven
13 Computer Pervert
14 We Are BS 2000
15 Go W/ The Flow (Make Room)
16 Breakdance
17 Thrift King
18 Weep+Chat
19 Oh Right,
20 Die Rollerblader
21 Shock
22 Dinner In Five
23 The Coffee Drinker


PS - The Avalanches have been known to mix bits from the first BS 2000 album in some of their mixes! How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment