Thursday, September 24, 2009

Carl Craig is 69


As the title says, Carl Craig is 69. That's pronounced six-nine, not the "sexy" way. Mr. Craig only produced a few records under this name but they are widely considered classics, and deservedly so. I'm not going to try very hard to convince you to check this stuff out, other than to say, IT'S GREAT AND YOU SHOULD TOTALLY CHECK THESE RECORDS OUT!!! It's soulful house with breakbeats and, despite most of it being well over a decade old, it still sounds fresh today. Truly moving stuff that shouldn't be ignored.

Now, I wasn't originally going to post these today, but Pitchfork ran a review for a 69 box set yesterday. Despite the quality of the music, they gave the package a mediocre 6.8 review, based mostly on the fact that the box is vinyl only and limited to 500 copies worldwide. Yes, you read that right, 500 copies. 100 of them come with a special t-shirt, but the package itself looks mighty worthy in it's own right. Now, I already have a love/hate with relationship with Pitchfork, which is to say I love their coverage of music news and scenes and hate their uppity reviews, but this really pushed me over the edge. Why review a release so limited that almost no one could purchase it? In the review they even acknowledged that almost no one reading it would be able to purchase a copy of the box. Then, to add insult to injury, give a middling score based on the reviewers' disappointment as to it's availability? DAMN!!!!!

Well, despite the fact that there are definitely people who would love to purchase these recordings, which are remastered as well I'd like to note, Mr. Craig isn't doing a digital release or otherwise of the package. It's really a shame and I hope he changes his mind, but most of his releases are not available digitally so it won't surprise me if he doesn't bother with anything of this sort. So, because of these events, I will be sharing the 69 discography prior to the box's release so anyone can check these amazing tracks out if they'd like. I would like to make it clear that I'm not trying to bash Mr. Craig in any way. If he'd like me to remove these links, I will be more than happy to. I am not in any way trying to rob him of his income, but as none of these releases are currently available outside of that marvelously limited box, I don't believe I'll be doing him a disservice. Nonetheless, Mr. Craig, drop me a line if this bothers you and I'll gladly remove the links with the quickness. My only goal is for people to hear the goodness, I have no want to cause damage to anyone's business or income.

Because it's not fair to talk about the Pitchfork review or the box without including details, you can check the review here and you can visit here, here (scroll down a little), here too (this is Carl's official site) and the discogs references to see details about the box set as well as images. Enjoy!

UPDATE: I have removed the links to the albums by polite request. Just so you know, there are still copies of the box available for purchase if you'd like to get one, and boy, are they sweet! I got mine and it was number 218 so, if you're feeling this stuff, you've gotta get the box! Check Planet E for more details!


69 - 4 Jazz Funk Classics

01 Ladies & Gentlemen
02 If Mojo Was A.M.
03 My Machines (Pt. 1) / Extraterrestrial Raggabeats (Pt. 2) / My Machines (Reprise)
04 Frequency Finale


69 - The Sound Of Music
(this album collects the Sound On Sound and Lite Music releases)

01 My Machines
02 Microlovr
03 Jam The Box
04 Desire
05 Rushed
06 Sub Seducer
07 Sound On Sound
08 Poi Et Pas
09 Filter King / No Highs / Finale


69 - Pungtang

01 Sub Seducer (Unreleased Mix)
02 Desire
03 Pungtang (Original)
04 Pungtang 2




PS - 100th post! Well, 100th post with the ones that were removed, and they're not all music related and, aw... whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment