Tuesday, November 24, 2009

November 2009 Mixtape


The site is back in full swing, although as I noted earlier it can't be an everyday thing at the moment. More like a three or four days out of the week thing. BUT I'M ON IT! It's a busy time of year and it's hard to always have my mind on the site when it's not my full time job, but I'm sure everyone understands that. All said, I've got tons of content to post and I'm working on lining up interviews for the new year, so stay tuned! For today though, here is the November edition of the mixtape. Enjoy!


The Unheard Music November 2009 Mixtape


01 Portishead – Glory Box (Scorn)
I don’t think you could make Glory Box any gloomier than it is right here in this remix. God, what an incredible track! Doesn’t feel like light could ever penetrate this one’s darkness. Great way to start a mixtape that isn’t so dark, eh!?!?

02 The Strokes – You Only Live Once
I love Julian Casablancas’ new album, Phrazes For The Young, but I didn’t want to put a song from that on my site since there are so many other sites featuring tracks from it. This song is simply wonderful, but I’ve also included the demo later in the mixtape to show just how different Julian can flip it.

03 David Lee Roth – Just A Gigolo-I Ain’t Go Nobody (Medley)
Another example of having the ability to transfer vinyl but not needing to do it. Did it anyway though. If you’ve never seen the video, check it out here IMMEDIATELY! Old school insanity from Diamond Dave!

04 Prince – The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
I can’t say enough about this song and how great it is. This might be Prince’s crowning achievement. Listen to the beat and how often he changes it. Susan Rogers, Prince’s engineer from 83 to 87, always said he was the best drum programmer she had ever seen. Timbaland has built a career out of imitating this song. Simply unbelievable yet incredibly subdued.

05 Jesu – Old Year
Justin Broadrick’s post-Godflesh band brings it slow and heavy. Love that insane heaviness!

06 Wire – Ex-Lion Tamer
Stay glued to your TV sets! One of the best songs from Pink Flag, this might also be the catchiest. You should just go check out Pink Flag if you haven’t heard it, but if you need a prior introduction, this is it.

07 Kraftwerk – Numbers (Remix)
This is the version released on the original 7” single. It includes a little bit of Computer World 2, both tracks from the Computer World album. I got this from a compilation named 7 Inch Singles 1973-1991, although I don’t think it’s a legit release as it contains a few demos from the Techno Pop era. I’ll have to post those eventually as they’re pretty fantastic, but I should probably just post the compilation as most of those versions, if not all of them, will never be reissued due to Kraftwerk’s current reissue policies. Not to mention, as many people have complained about the recent reissues, these versions have the crackles and pops that are missing from the new versions.

08 Pale Saints – Hunted
I found out about these guys while trying to find something similar to My Bloody Valentine. In the end, most everything I found was a disappointment compared to MBV, and that includes these guys, but they’re pretty great in their own way. This track ended up on an EP and the In Ribbons album, both great examples of the shoegaze movement. This is easily my favorite track by Pale Saints with its very eerie vibe that leaves you feeling like you’re being hunted. I’m not going to tell you these guys are the best, but they’re definitely worth a listen.

09 The Jim Carroll Band – People Who Died
Awesome song. This was used somewhat recently to great effect at the end of the remake of Dawn Of The Dead. Such an upbeat song about such sad events. Rest In Peace Jim.

10 The Strokes – I’ll Try Anything Once
This is Julian’s demo of You Only Live Once. I think it’s awesome how different this home made demo is from the finished version. It’s almost a completely different song! If you’re not familiar with The Strokes, get Is This It ASAP. Also, you should check out Julian’s solo album which is excellent in it’s own right. If I can spare the cash I’m going to buy the super-deluxe version of the album, as it comes with a bonus disc of demos and leftovers, a vinyl copy of the album, a DVD, a sweet book with the complete lyrics and all kinds of other neat crap. Worth $89.95? I like the album that much I think it is.

11 Sublime – Cisco Kid
I’ve never been a big fan of Sublime, but the Robbin’ The Hood album is really good. Consisting primarily of four-track demos created by Bradley Nowell alone, it’s a really fun, lo-fi record with some of his best songs and lots of oddball experimentation. The funny part is how unhappy Brad’s surroundings were at that time, as he was a heavy heroin user and spent much of his time at drug houses, which is where most of the songs on the album were created. Still, he managed to capture a happy, upbeat vibe throughout the album, adding a sunny tint to such dark days. Cisco Kid is a great example of that tint, with it’s goofy, classic-tv samples and Brad’s simple raps alongside his weird-ass, lo-fi production. Like he says in the song, “Respect to the man with the uzi”, and he probably knew that vibe better than anyone would like to know, but he still made something fun and memorable out of it.

12 Pixies – No. 13 Baby
GOD BLESS THE PIXIES!!!!! If I had a band I’d do a slow and heavy cover of this song. BAAAAAAABBBEEEEEEE!

13 Goldfrapp – Slide In (DFA Remix)
The DFA here is Mo’Wax co-founder Tim Goldworthy and LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy, as opposed to the R&B production crew that we’re going to ignore. A few years ago, Goldfrapp asked some of their favorite producers to give them some remixes. When they contacted the DFA, they told them they could remix any song of their choice in any way they chose. Well, the DFA proceeded to turn Goldfrapp’s Slide In into a thirteen minute full-on disco stomp with live drums and all the fixings. It came out on a very limited 12” initially but now is available on several comps. If you’re feeling this, you should grab both volumes of The DFA Remixes. Your jaw will drop at the consistency of their sheer awesomeness!

14 TV On The Radio – Mr. Grieves
TV On The Radio cover a Pixies rockabilly classic as a gloomy acapella dirge. Nothing new here, and not really representative of TVOTR’s output, but such a beautiful recording. This is from their awesome Young Liars EP.

15 James Brown – Funky Drummer
Something tells me that everyone probably knows all about James and how funky he is, but there was a time I had know idea how great he was, so I figured it could never be a bad thing to have a visit from JB and famous funkateers. If you’ve never heard, prepare for greatness. If you already know, sit back and enjoy the ride! Either way, a great outro to this months mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment