Thursday, November 26, 2009

Diamanda Galás with John Paul Jones - The Sporting Life


So I bought Them Crooked Vultures' debut album a few days before it came out and I've been playing it regularly ever since. Really good rockin' stuff, which Rom referred to as "FREEDOM ROCK, TURN IT UP!". I don't know if I'd consider it freedom rock, but Rom has a great sense of humor and knows his shit! Anyway, the album got me thinking about Led Zep, and how John Paul Jones was the silent hero of the group. Yeah, everyone remembers Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and John Bonham, but not many people talk about Mr. Jones (real name, by the way, is John Baldwin), so I decided to look up his work, which led me to this exquisite gem.

I'm not going to tell you I know a lot about Ms. Galás, but I've encountered her music in passing over the years and always found her intriguing, but this is the first time I ever listened to one of her albums from start to finish. She sounds like Sybil gone batshit looking to fuck and kill for passion and love, even if the love part isn't as obvious. GODDAMN SHE'S INCREDIBLE! And on The Sporting Life, Mr. Jones contributes most of the music and brings a stomp very reminiscent to the Zep.

This album came out in 1994, right around the time of Page and Plant's first reunion playing live on MTV with a full orchestra for their Unledded show. I remember enjoying that a lot, but wondering where the hell Jones was. I can't remember if it was Page or Plant, but one of them commented that it was easier to split millions in half than three ways. Their loss, because Mr. John Paul Jones bring the RAWK and Ms. Diamanda Galás brings the PAIN! I'm never going to tell you this is an easy album to listen to, but damn is it good! So, grab this, eat some turkey (happy turkey day everybody!) and when your family is watching football, get in your car and crank this shit loud! Let Ms. Galás make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up in terror, all the while you can't turn away! Let Mr. Jones bring that stone-solid rock to your speakers and let his bass paralyze you! And let Pete Thomas, taking care of percussion duties, fill the void left by John Bonham with power and grace! GET THIS AND LET IT WARP YOU!!!!!


Diamanda Galás with John Paul Jones - The Sporting Life

01 Skótoseme
02 Do You Take This Man?
03 Dark End Of The Street
04 You're Mine
05 Tony
06 Devil's Rodeo
07 The Sporting Life
08 Baby's Insane
09 Last Man Down
10 Hex


PS - Please forgive my unprofessional tone and language throughout this post. It is Thanksgiving, referred by myself and my ilk as Turkey Day, and I am going to enjoy myself like I haven't gotten to for most of this year, so I'm feeling rather loose at the moment. Hopefully none of you are offended by the language. I'll return to my far more professional tone in the next post. For now though, HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!!!

PS 2 - Click HERE and read about Ms. Galás and her works. She is definitely deserving of your attention! You can also click HERE to find more about Mr. Jones. He is deserving as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment