Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Grace Jones - Island Life


I wanted to write a really poetic post about Grace Jones and how great she is, but I think it's better if I just get to the point and tell you to listen to this compilation because she's awesome and this is a prime example of just how cool she really is.

Primarily focusing on sessions with Island Records' Compass Point Studios in-house band, a multi-ethnic group of incredibly talented musicians that featured Sly & Robbie among their ranks, Island Life follows Grace as she struts her way through disco, funk, reggae, and soul, all with the confidence of a heavyweight champion. It's a little short, especially when compared to the superior Private Life compilation, but it's a great starting point if you're not familiar with her work outside of film or modeling.

Grace is still around, just as strong and continuing to tour and record. Last year she released her first full-length album since 1989, Hurricane, and it's well worth your effort to find a copy. Also, if you're not familiar with the other aspects of her career, follow this link and you can see some shots of Grace from her modeling days. Enjoy!


Grace Jones - Island Life
UPDATE: Link is gone by DMCA request. I'll concede that I knew this one was still available for purchase, I'm just surprised that anyone cares after it's been up for so long. Whatever, I respect this and will gladly remove the link. If you like Grace than you should purchase this at iTunes or Amazon.

01 La Vie En Rose
02 I Need A Man
03 Do Or Die (7" Edit)
04 Private Life
05 Love Is The Drug (Thorngren Remix)
06 I've Seen That Face Before (Libertango)
07 Pull Up To The Bumper (7" Edit)
08 Walking In The Rain
09 My Jamaican Guy
10 Slave To The Rhythm (7" Edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment