Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Soul Coughing - Live Demo Tape & CARTOONS!!!


Sometimes it seems like you go hunting for something, you find it and then something you thought you had squared away disappears. Such is the case for a backup of an FTP site from 1998 containing some Soul Coughing oddities. I thought I knew where it was and I'm sure it's not too far off, but after hunting down the ever allusive Double M demos, the FTP backup has gone invisible on me. This probably doesn't mean too much in the long run but it does mean the tracks featured in this post are not from a singular source and have been slightly tweaked so as to fit together a bit nicer. Kinda cryptic sounding, yeah, but when you're dealing with 128kbps MP3s sourced from cassettes it doesn't matter so much, so the majority of the preceding paragraph is only for audiophiles concerned with such details. If that's a turn-off, you can always ignore these tracks, but I promise you, unless you know someone from the band personally, none of us are going to hear better versions of these ones anytime soon.

Anyway, the four Cough tracks here are from a demo tape dated 1992 which is comprised of live recordings from the very first SC show which was at the Knitting Factory, although the fourth track is from an unknown date and doesn't feature any of the normal SC line-up outside of Doughty. This track, Brooklyn Girls By Train, is catchy enough but I never thought it sounded like typical Cough. Upon seeing the line-up for the band on this recording, all is explained. Apart from the line-up, I don't know anything about this track, so if anyone can fill in the blanks it would be truly appreciated. On top of that, I've got nine of the eleven tracks from the Knitting Factory show but I can't find two of them, so if anyone can help me out there I will forever be in your debt. Oh yeah, and I'll post the whole show too!

So I wanted to share something else for the Cough fans out there. This isn't as rare as these demos or the Double M demos are, and you can find it easily on youtube, but I haven't seen too many decent non-streaming copies floating around so I knew this was post-worthy. These are the El Oso Sound Cartoons, which were created as a promotional tool for El Oso prior to it's release. If I remember correctly, a few of these shorts may have been played on Cartoon Network who may have been involved in their creation, but I can't say for certain so don't quote me here. What I am certain of is that they were shown as special events at record shops and Borders book stores in 1998 but will never be granted an official release due to their use of cartoons from so many different sources. There are Fleischer, Warner, Disney and MGM cartoons included here if I'm not mistaken, which lends more creedance to my Cartoon Network involvement recollection, but I can't and won't say for certain, but if the idea of this video interests you, you should definitely download this because you will truly enjoy it.


Soul Coughing - Live Demo Tape
01 I Shot Lily Brick Down
02 Sideshow Couple/Michael Jackson
03 Like You Did
04 Brooklyn Girls By Train

Soul Coughing - El Oso Sound Cartoons
NOTE: You MUST download both parts or you won't get the complete video.
Part One
Part Two

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I realize I'm about a decade late on this, but is there any chance you might be willing to reupload the Soul Coughing Live Demo Tape? Pretty pretty please?!?!

    ReplyDelete