Saturday, July 11, 2009

Neil Young - Trans (Alternate Version)


Continuing with the Neil theme, here is the alternate version of Trans that was withdrawn shortly before the album's release. To be honest, it isn't terribly different from the released version, but there are things worth noting about it. First of all, this version includes If You Got Love which was listed on initial pressings but was not present and remains unreleased. On top of that, this also features the slightly longer version of Like An Inca which is now available on all CD reissues of the album but was otherwise unreleased until 1993. Also featured, although not noted as being present in any info I can find, is the longer version of Sample and Hold which is also present on all CD reissues from 1993 onward. I'm quite surprised not to see this mentioned anywhere, but that's the internet for you. Because of the CD reissue, which is identical to this minus If You Got Love, this version of the album doesn't circulate that wildly any longer, but it's still worth having.

Trans, at one point or another, went by the name Human Highway. Who actually knows when that changed but Trans, in my opinion, is a better album name. Naming the album Human Highway though is understandable as several tracks from the album appeared in Neil's freaky film of the same name. If I ever get into sharing films on this blog I'll have to post that one. Neil Young, Devo, nuclear apocalypse, general weirdness, etc. makes it a definite stoner flick or oddball party entertainer.

On the slim chance someone reading this has a better copy of this, one confirmed as sourced from the acetate in lossless quality perhaps, I would love to hear from you, especially if you might be able to share it with me. I'm not the pickiest guy about compressed audio, but whenever I can get something better I prefer to go that way, and 128kbps MP3s, while passable, are on the low end of my spectrum. Another reason I'd like a lossless rip of the acetate is that they tend to sound great and I would love to compare between a lossless acetate rip and the retail CD.

Oh yeah, don't forget to hit Side Street Records site for their page dedicated to this version of the album. Their site may be disappearing soon so check them out before they go the way of the Dodo.


Neil Young - Trans (Alternate Version)

01 A Little Thing Called Love
02 If You Got Love
03 Computer Age
04 We R In Control
05 Transformer Man
06 Computer Cowboy (aka Skycrusher)
07 Hold On To Your Love
08 Sample and Hold
09 Mr. Soul
10 Like An Inca

No comments:

Post a Comment