Monday, June 6, 2011

Bono the Hitchhiker

I thought this was an interesting story this morning in the RAMP newsletter...

Edmonton Oilers center Gilbert Brule and his girlfriend Kelsey Nichols just happened to be passing by in a driving rain storm and saw a hitchhiker. Brule did a double-take, swearing that the rain-drenched guy they just passed was Bono, but Nichols wasn't convinced, as she later told CTV. "I didn't want to stop, but they waved, and Gilbert yelled, 'That's Bono!'" Nichols recalled. "I said, 'No, we're not picking up a hitchhiker. We're going to die.'"

Cooler heads prevailed, and Brule picked up the soaking wet Bono, who rewarded the couple with tickets and backstage passes to U2's show in Edmonton. According to published reports, Brule asked Bono where he wanted to go, and Bono replied, "Just take me to where The Edge is." Bono recounted his experience on stage in Edmonton the following night, telling the audience, "I like ice hockey, because people who play ice hockey are the kind of people who pick up hitchhikers," he said. "I know this from personal experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment