Saturday, November 27, 2010

Beijing Punk


Howdy folks!

It's been awhile since a foreign movie and especially a documentary has generated enough interest in my country to make people talking and discussing. And not only that but because of all this additional dates has been added. Even this fact alone was enough to convince me to go see it. But there's more. This movie is about PUNK and it's all that matters. But even better, it's about chinese punk, a topic I didn't know much about. So there you go. Two reasons to go see this movie - Punk and China.

"Beijing Punk" is a documentary by Shaun Jefford depicting the so-called chinese punk scene or at least it's branch in the capital city of Beijing. The film is shot around 2008 and it's depicting mostly a bunch of local punk and alternative bands as well as the only place where they can get exposure - club D-22. I have to admit that at times I was wondering why giving the fact that the film is about chinese punks there's bands that one cannot call punk like Hedgehog and P.K.14. Not that it changed anything but I don't consider the last two punk. To be honest this flick was in a way more inteersting as I was already had some exposure to chinese punk mainly through myspace and other sources and I've been listening to bands like Demerit, Reflector, Brain Damage and SMZB from quite some time. But still I was eager to see what new I can learn from this movie. And to some extend I wasn't disappointed as I saw things that were unknown to me and definitely generated even more interest from my part. Definitely not to be missed by fans of such music as well as by those who wants to learn a thing or two about the truly underground subculture of China.

This film itself offers an amusing combination of documentary shots blended with fresh humor and some really sincere testimonials. Last but not least there's this one blond chick and doesn't do anything but is capable of generating chants of ecstasy among the male part of the audience. That alone is something. Now seriously. The movie starts slow at first with the director trying to learn something about chinese punk and where eventually can be heard. No luck there but fortunately for him he meets the guy behind the now infamous club D-22, probably the only place in Beijing where real punk music can be heard. From then on it's a non-stop journey through the streets of Beijing and between the flats of those punks involved in the making of the documentary. Speaking of which the film revolves mainly around the bands Mi San Dao, Demerit, Hedgehog and to lesser extend P.K.14.
Mi San Dao are your typical Oi! band with a leading vocalist that proudly manifest himself as a chinese skinhead. It'd have been shoking to me to see a chinese skinhead if not seeing a mongolian nazi skins some time ago. Mi San Dao makes Oi! music with lyrics that often evokes laugh. Don't get me wrong but it's just that some of their songs are so simply and sometimes just doesn't make sense. Oi! music isn't about boots, skins and shouting endlessly Oi!Oi!Oi!. It's much more. But still the guys from Mi San Dao are making their music with hearts and sometimes it's all that matters. What I liked about Mi San Dao is that they're a bunch of guys making punk music and living a simply life without high expectations and hopes. I thing I remember clearly was that they were particularly fond of codeine-based syrups and some chinese alcohol which name I can't remember. I'll have to try those.
Demerit is the reason I went to see the film. I knew them already and I wanted to learn more about them. Demerit in contrast to Mi San Dao are visually more like the Ramones. Good thing that in their music there's no trace of the latter. Demerit is more like your local street punk band - fast, loud and kicking. Not only visually they're different but also lyrically. Deeper texts about life, struggle and everyday experiences. Definitely the band to look for.
Hedgehog was one of the few non-punk bands featured in the documentary. Their music can be describes as alternative with strong influences from the likes of Joy Division. Best thing about Hedgehog? Their female drummer. She is crazy, cute and drums like a beast. Apart from that the band seems the only clean one among the three featured. The lack of the scandalous element didn't made them any less interesting. Fans of mellow sounds will definitely like this band.

No comments:

Post a Comment