Thursday, May 14, 2009

BUNGLE FEVER!


I've joked with people that this could easily be a Prince rarities blog due to the ridiculous amount of his stuff that I have lying around, but I'm fighting that urge with a passion! That said, I promise this won't become a Mike Patton blog either, but I figured that if I was going to post those Mr. Bungle rough mixes and demos that I might as well post their four original demo tapes. Now, before I go much further, I want to note that Bungle Fever was the source for all of the Bungle tracks I've posted here and if you want a near endless collection of live and Bungle-related content you should definitely visit their site and FTP. I don't want to take credit away from the people who did the work and laid foundations! So, follow that link to Bungle glory!

Anyway, this will probably be my last Bungle post, at least for a long time. There isn't too much to say about these demos other than they're rough and clearly demos. "OU818" is the most polished of the four and was recorded not too long before they were signed to Warners. "The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny" is their first demo and has a lot of grindcore in it's sound. "Goddammit..." is another pretty polished demo, but it's not my favorite. It sounds like someone stripped some of the fun out of the band. "Bowel Of Chiley", on the other hand, is my favorite of these demos and is clearly the most fun. If you're blue and need some potty-humor and ridiculous ska-influenced craziness, "Bowel..." will make you smile for a long, LONG time! I heard "Bowel..." years ago when I acquired one of the "official" cd's re-pressed by Rastacore Records. The cd's were really bootlegs that the band vocally stated their disapproval of, so it's pretty damn rare, but it doesn't sound better than any other copy I've heard which is a shame since "Bowel..." is also the scruffiest sounding of the four demos. This one makes me laugh to this day! If Beavis and Butthead style humor still make you laugh, you'll be pleasantly surprised with "Bowel Of Chiley"!


Mr. Bungle Demo Tapes:

The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny
Bowel Of Chiley
Goddammit I Love America!
OU818


PS - By the way, in case my previous statement was unclear, "Bowel Of Chiley" was a real Mr. Bungle demo, but it's cd release was unauthorized. I don't want anyone thinking it's not supposed to be out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment